Monster Basement Monster Basement

Good! but...

I loved the theme, it was great, however I will provide a critique from a gameplay perspective. This game suffered from the oft-used "guess where to click" method of adding challenge to the game. What's worse, it was used over and over again. I don't know who the first guy to do this and thought it was fun was, and I don't know why everyone since them has copied it, but it's NOT fun to be reduced to randomly clicking around every screen until you finally find something.

Games like this are made fun by creative puzzles. Unfortunately a bunch of randomly guessing where to click does not constitute a creative puzzle.

But don't get me wrong... It was good. Not necessarily fun, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

Godlimations responds:

Being entertained is fun isn't it? :)

-Christmas Cursor- -Christmas Cursor-

Pretty good, but...

There were some bugs. In level 3, I was able to just send my cursor right through the revolving circle things walls without losing. Other than that, there isn't much to say. Typical guide your mouse through the maze game. Done to death.

the ugly the ugly

Awesome, but...

Overall it was pretty good, but there are a few things to be improved upon.

1) Guessing where to click. In many areas there was absolutely no hint as to where you should click to go back, and it changed from location to location. There should be some sort of better navigation system so you don't have to spend time eventually figuring out you need to click this corner, or that corner, or anywhere.

2) It wasn't apparent at first what exactly was going on, or why when you did something you would die. The animations, while drawn well, didn't really show what was happening. An ear, a knife, screams, and game over. You should actually better show what is going on so we don't have to play some guessing game to figure it out. I died three times before I actually figured out why I was dying.

3) More stuff to do. Yes or no options don't leave much to the imagination, and once you actually figure out why you are dying, it's simple enough to avoid it.

Don't get me wrong though. It was excellent work. That's why I gave it a nine rating. Just some attempts at constructive criticism ;)

Tile based game engine Tile based game engine

Good, but...

In my opinion:

1) The handling of the tank is horrible. It handles almost like a real vehicle, where if you let go of the wheel, it'll still continue turning in that direction for awhile unless you turn it back. It may be realistic but it doesn't work for a game where you can't see the wheel and can't feel your hands on the wheel. It was more of a chore than fun.

2) This doesn't seem like a realistic project to undertake in flash. Now I know we're on Newgrounds and all, and telling someone to go off and learn a programming language really isn't feasible, but flash isn't really designed for this and there is too much that can go wrong. A lot of the things could be handled more easily in other programming languages, and in flash it's just too much work for too little of a result. You should look into Java for making a game like this online. You're essentially reinventing the wheel by creating a tile based game, and making it more difficult by creating it with a medium more suited for animation and simple programming than actual complex games.

WallArcher responds:

Thanks for your realistic review, you're right about both points.
2 is actually the reason why i've quit working on it. The main problem is that it's all done in AS1.0, the source is a total chaos, and I don't feel like rewriting to whole thing in a much more managable class based fashion, while retaining the same performance issues.

Simple Tutorial:Key React Simple Tutorial:Key React

I rated this a 5 for one reason, and one reason alone. Because unlike a lot of the other tutorial making noobs on this site that have no idea what new people need to know, you not only showed the actionscript, but you explained what it did. Everytime I see a tutorial where the author says "just copy paste this" I want to punch them in the damned face. Good work. You should do some more action scripting tutorials.

CyMistue responds:

yes thank u, i made this just because of those ppl that do that, so this was my lil way of saying, "suck it"

Madda Cheeb's Hop'n'Bop Madda Cheeb's Hop'n'Bop

Good, but...

Rated it a 4. Would have given it a 5 except that it was poisoned with the Halo fanboy crap >_< With the talent you have to be making things like that, you should come up with original (and non-overrated :p) characters.

But other than that gripe, very well done game.

zeezeezee responds:

I know Halo is getting saturated, ever since Halo 2 I have felt that way too, but Ive been making Halo related fan stuff (movies and games) since 2002, so its just not that easy for me to give up. Thanks for the comments on talent, Im trying.

Containment by Chambers Containment by Chambers

Amazing

While there wasn't really too much to do, the graphics and animation were excellent. If that style was converted over to an actual movie or game, it would be a hit for sure. Keep it up.